5 Things You Can Do Better With PeopleSoft On Oracle Cloud
February 4, 2017 Arvind Rajan
1. Time to Deploy
The time taken to deploy a new instance of PeopleSoft varies from a few days to a few weeks and in some cases months depending on the on-premise customer environment. Infrastructure availability, resource availability, process and procedure and having the right skill set play a key role in determining the time needed to deploy a new instance. Oracle Cloud brings consistency, quality, and performance to this as follows:
- Use Oracle Cloud Marketplace pre-built images of PeopleSoft applications (currently available for V9.2 only) to instantly create your new PeopleSoft instances.
- Store images of your own baseline code, configuration, data and security and use that to instantly deploy a new PeopleSoft instance on Oracle Cloud.
Bonus: Click, Select and Deploy additional instances based on your need. Tear down or discard them as easily as you build them.
2. Backup and Restore
Backup and Restore is performed either with the help of a tool like RMAN or customized scripts or manually (worst case). Regardless, there has always been a challenge to generate reliable backups that can be used when the need arises. In addition to this, there are dependencies on disk space, offsite storage, and servers that further delay or complicate this basic need. Oracle Database Cloud Service (part of PaaS) makes this easier as follows:
- Subscribe to Database Cloud Service or the Database Backup Cloud Service and with a few clicks, configure the instance for backup and its done
- No more worries about whether there is enough storage available for backups. With Storage Cloud (IaaS) fully integrated with Database Cloud, you are covered.
Bonus: Want to change backup frequency or policy – no need to call the DBA team. Just log in to the Cloud portal and make the changes you need and you are all set.
3. Production Refresh
- Each customer has their own schedule to refresh data from Production down to non-Production instances. Unless this is fully automated, customers spend significant time, resource and money in doing this particular task to take a point in time snapshot of Production, scrub it to make it non-Production ready, restore and then perform a series of post refresh tasks to configure the non-Production instance after bringing it up. Oracle Cloud makes this much simpler:
- With a few clicks in your Cloud Portal, select your instance and create a snapshot of the entire instance. Take a coffee break and come back when the snapshot is ready for you. Use the snapshot to create a new Dev or Test instance, again with a few clicks. Use DPK and PTF to run post refresh tasks to configure your instance.
Bonus: Use Oracle Database Vault Service to secure your transaction data in non-Production.
4. Monitoring PeopleSoft
Oracle Cloud offers monitoring tools such as the Oracle Application Performance Monitoring Cloud Service and Oracle Management Cloud that can unify DevOps and ensure a healthy production and development ecosystem. With these tools, application monitoring is easy to setup, can auto-discover your PeopleSoft instance and instantly start monitoring all critical services and servers and give you real-time information, again via the Cloud Portal. Notifications and alerts are standard and can be configured to meet your need online.
5. Upgrade and Patch/Fix
The first thing customers have to do when applying an upgrade or update is to download a new image from Oracle Support (for V9.2). This has some pre-requisites like infrastructure provisioning (physical or virtual), scheduling (resource availability) and understanding the installation procedure for that update image. Oracle Cloud eliminates these and makes it simple: