Starting with HCM Release 9.2 Update Image 19 and FSCM Release 9.2 Update Image 20, PeopleSoft update images delivers sample PTF shell test, library test with demo data. Here is some analysis of what type of PTF delivered scripts, when it was delivered and how you can use it?
1. Overview of what’s delivered, when it was first delivered, what incremental change has been delivered since?
- What’s delivered
- HCM PUM 24 delivers sample PTF library test, shell test and test data which includes 30 library test on general PeopleSoft functionalities, fluid functionalities and 30 shell test on different module areas like ESS, MSS, Core HR, Benefits, and payroll etc.
- FSCM PUM 26 delivers sample PTF library test, shell test and test data which includes 30 library test on general PeopleSoft functionalities, fluid functionalities and 12 shell test on different module areas like AM, Purchasing, Expense Report approval report etc.
- PeopleSoft delivers a good amount of library test but very limited capable shell test for both HCM and FSCM application. The delivered shell test doesn’t provide simulation for the end-to-end business process.
Please refer the link for detailed test information – https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocContentDisplay?id=2167721.1
2. When delivered
Starting with HCM Release 9.2 Update Image 19, PeopleSoft update images contain the sample (or demo) PTF test and test data. HCM PUM 19 is delivered on October 14, 2016.
|HCM PUM Image Version||Time|
|PUM 24||October 2017|
|PUM 23||July 2017|
|PUM 22||April 2017|
|PUM 21||January 2017|
|PUM 20||December 2016|
|PUM 19||November 2016|
Starting with FSCM Release 9.2 Update Image 20, PeopleSoft update images contain the sample (or demo) PTF test and test data. FSCM PUM 20 is delivered on August 24, 2016.
|FSCM PUM Image Version||Time|
|PUM 26||December 2017|
|PUM 25||September 2017|
|PUM 24||June 2017|
|PUM 23||March 2017|
|PUM 22||December 2016|
|PUM 21||October 2016|
3. What incremental changes delivered
Below table specifies the timeline and shell test/library sample test count by HCM PUM Image,
|PUM Image Version||Shell Test Count||Library Test Count||Time||Shell Test Modules|
|PUM 24||30||30||October 2017||ESS, MSS, Time & Labor, Benefits and Payroll on Fluid (NUI) functionalities|
|PUM 23||15||30||July 2017|
|PUM 22||19||8||April 2017|
|PUM 21||14||8||January 2017|
|PUM 20||12||8||December 2016|
|PUM 19||10||7||November 2016|
Below table specifies the timeline and shell test/library sample test count by FSCM PUM Image,
|PUM Image Version||Shell Test Count||Library Test Count||Time||Shell Test Modules|
|PUM 26||12||30||December 2017||AM, PO, General Homepage count, SES index searching, Expense, and Personalize homepage in Fluid functionalities|
|PUM 25||12||30||September 2017|
|PUM 24||12||23||June 2017|
|PUM 23||12||8||March 2017|
|PUM 22||12||8||December 2016|
|PUM 21||11||7||October 2016|
PeopleSoft delivers sample test and test data for library test and shell test respective to the HCM and FSCM application.
- HCM PUM 24 latest image delivers 30 library test on general PeopleSoft functionalities, fluid functionalities, 30 basic shell test on generic and specific module areas including ESS, MSS, Core HR, Benefits and payroll etc. Also delivers sample test data like execution options and PeopleSoft leverages demo data like BU-US001 and SetID SHARE and demo user profiles.
- FSCM PUM 26 latest image delivers 30 library test on general PeopleSoft functionalities, fluid functionalities and 12 shell test on generic areas and modules like AM, Purchasing, Expense Report approval report. Also delivers the sample test data like execution options and PeopleSoft leverages demo data like BU-US001 and SetID SHARE and demo user profiles.
- Customers can use delivered library test primarily in their main test scripts for validating or verifying any generic functions or fluid functionalities in line with their testing needs on either FSCM or HCM application. The library test can be imported or migrated into the PTF instance being used in the customer’s PeopleSoft environment and can be called in any of the main test scripts. A library test can’t be executed or called by itself.
- Customers can use sample delivered shell test by tweaking or modifying it in line with testing the functionality needs. Delivered shell test can be imported or migrated into the PTF instance being used on the Customer’s PeopleSoft environment and a new version of shell test shall be created, modified and validated to meet the customer requirements. The shell test provided by PeopleSoft are limited in functionality and it doesn’t represent any end-to-end process.
- Customers can use or reuse delivered library test for verifying or validating generic functionalities or fluid functionalities by calling these library test in their main test scripts if customer requirement fulfills the needs of delivered library test. Reusing the delivered library test eliminates the need for creating additional test scripts and library test provides the benefit of better reusability and maintainability.
- Customers can use or clone delivered shell test or individual test part of the shell test for testing out functionalities on the areas fulfilling the requirement provided by shell test. Please note delivered shell test is limited in functionalities and doesn’t address automated testing for the end-to-end business process.
- Customers may need upfront education and training on the PTF tool and delivered test scripts to identify and figure out in using the delivered library test or individual test fulfilling the automated testing needs completely.
- Customer may need to modify or tweak the delivered execution options using the designated user profiles since delivered test scripts using demo user id and password coded in part of the test scripts. Customer may not be using the PTF scripts running on demo database, therefore customer shall end up in modifying multiple test elements like execution options, test data, inserting variables and more.
- Customer may need to modify or create a clone of delivered shell test to fulfill the testing requirements. PeopleSoft delivered shell test doesn’t include dynamic test data variables or execution options placeholder. Customer may need to create a new shell test or modify existing shell test to incorporate test data variables and execution options in the shell test.
Below table specifies the comparison of Astute pre-built library vs PeopleSoft delivered library by different categories,
|Category||Astute Pre-built library||PeopleSoft Delivered Test|
|Coverage/Business Process||Astute’ s pre-built shell test covers comprehensive end-to-end business process test automation in HCM and FSCM application.||PeopleSoft delivered test delivers only sample test which is very limited in functionalities and doesn’t cover any end-to-end business process in HCM or FSCM applications.|
|Count||Astute’ s pre-built shell test comprises of 45 shell test in FSCM and 60 shell test in HCM||Latest HCM PUM 24 delivered 30 shell test and latest FSCM PUM 26 delivers 12 shell test|
|User Profiles – Execution Options||Astute’ s pre-built shell test uses relevant and generic execution option profile in shell test where it minimizes the need to change only user ID and password.
For example, Create AR Items shell test uses pre-defined ‘AR_SPECIALIST’ execution option that can be reused in customer environment changing only user Id and password in line with the needs.
|PeopleSoft delivered test script uses demo user ID and password part of delivered execution options which can’t be used in testing real transactions against DEV or TEST environment and need to setup new execution options from scratch and code it in the delivered shell test.|
|Dynamic Test Data||Astute’ s pre-built shell test effectively uses variables and certain PS Queries in supplying dynamic test data giving advantage to easily create many test cases as necessary.||PeopleSoft delivered test script doesn’t use any variables or PS Queries in supporting dynamic test data creation.|
|Library Test||Astute’ s prebuilt individual test provides certain limited library test to leverage it in the test for better reusability and maintainability purpose.||PeopleSoft delivers around 30 library test common between HCM and FSCM applications.
PeopleSoft delivered library test can be used effectively for validating or verifying date functions, fluid functionalities and process schedule functionalities.
Reference – PeopleSoft Test Framework Sample Test Cases and Libraries (Doc ID 2167721.1).